Friday, May 11, 2012

Why Scottish Dialect?

A few queries have been received regarding the use of Scottish dialect in my time travel historical romance, Portal to Loch Doon, with possibly the same results for my upcoming time travel Mistress of the Keep. I say a few, meaning only five or six out of 1700 sales. When I began writing the book, it really was not my intention to use it. However, once the story began to unfold, how could I not? Even a visit today to some areas of Ireland, Wales, or Scotland, one strains to understand the language. Although I've endeavored to temper some of the words/terms, I have not strayed too far from the translator used. To most, it makes the story more believable when thinking of traveling several centuries back in time to another part of the world. Why would their language suddenly become American?  During my visit to England, I felt like a foreigner (and was). Even the English language spoken there was difficult to decipher at times. Alas, Americans have certainly butchered the king's English and continue to do so by writing less formally.

As authors continue to write to please their audiences, I do not believe we should completely abandon the art of authentic writing. Historical events are thoroughly scrutinized by readers. Why should they be so picky about a few phrases with thau, cood, Ah'll, hae, etc. After all, reading is not only for pleasure, but another avenue for learning. Put the shoe on the other foot. How do you think those who speak other languages feel when trying to read some of the material published in the U.S.? I love the flavor of the dialect written and find myself using some of the words in daily conversations when working on that type of writing. However, I will heed the pleadings of some and temper future dialogues...somewhat. If you would like to view examples of what I've discussed, see them in the sample offered on Amazon's Portal to Loch Doon, http://www.amazon.com/Portal-Travel-Historical-Romance-ebook/dp/B0058KS2NO. (I think it allows you to get that far into the book.) And have fun with it.

Cheers to all.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sherry! First, I'd like to congratulate you on your current Best Seller,Portal to Loch Doon.It is a fantasic Time Travel and I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed each chapter. Personally,I felt the Scottish Dialect was great, and added a realistic twist to the story. Being an author is never an easy thing, so many people who have different opinions on things. I have self published my first attempt on a Time Travel, titled Ancient Echoes. It is currently on Amazon, and I must admit I'm learning as I go. Well Sherry, the very best of luck with all your work, you are certainly very talented. Again, I really liked the Scottish Dialect!!
    Sincerely, Barbara Monahan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barbara,
    Welcome to my blog. I hope you joined. The more followers, the better to get the word out about our work. Marketing is not my favorite part of being an author. I appreciate your kind words about my time travel and approval of the dialect. It was fun and one of those where the words flowed rather freely. I'm working on another, Mistress of the Keep. I really do not know how it will end. Chapter 8 has just been begun. I clicked on your book and read the sample. Quite a liberal amount offered...4 chapters, so it wasn't too difficult to get a feel of the story line. It looks as if it has taken off pretty well. I hope it continues. For readers who would like to take a peek, the url for Barbara's Ancient Echoes is http://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Echoes-Barbara-Monahan/dp/1463474334. I believe I got it right. Best wishes in your future endeavors. Thanks again for taking the time to contribute to Words from Within. Come back and visit again soon.

    Sherry

    ReplyDelete